Harness the Giving Power of a Private Foundation—Without the Complexity
Donor Advised Funds
View Our Complimentary BrochureWant to learn more about donor advised funds? Download the complimentary guide One-Stop Giving: The Convenience and Simplicity of Donor Advised Funds.
Are you looking for an easy, cost-effective way to support American University? A donor advised fund, which is like a charitable savings account, may be the right choice for you.
Here's how it works: you transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization, such as a public foundation. You can then recommend—but not direct—how much and how often money is granted to American University and other charities. And you avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation.
You qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account, and the power to make recommendations as to which charities to support and when to support them. With this approach your giving and record-keeping will be centralized in one location, and you can establish a family legacy of giving by allowing your adult children to help you decide which grants to recommend.
- Contact Seth Speyer, Executive Director of Planned Giving at 202-885-3411 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how you can support American University through donor advised funds.
- Evaluate a sponsoring organization to make sure it supports your interests, values, and the type of asset you are considering as a funding source.
- Get to know the sponsoring organization's policies and procedures on issues such as minimum contributions and administrative fees. Each organization handles these details differently.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you make a gift to AU through a donor advised fund, please use our legal name and Federal Tax ID.
Legal Name: American University
Address: 4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20016
Federal Tax ID Number: #53-0196549